[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
thephantoms.co.uk • View topic - information sharpening

information sharpening

A virtual meeting place for Phantoms and everyone else - Come in and chat, all are welcome, but remember, keep it clean!

information sharpening

Postby ian » 22 Aug 2013, 10:18

About 5 years ago, I bought a pair of Bauer ONE90 skates, no mater how many times I had them baked they hurt(3 times) I knew what the problem was and tried to skate around it using another pair of cheap skates when the pain was to much. This was fine in the days when I skated a couple of times a week! I looked into it to fined a pair of skates that would give me what I wanted. I was looking for a skate that gave me forward and backward ankle movement without any loss of sideways stability. After looking a Graf G7's for a long time, I came across a skate call MLx. Just my luck the company had been taken over and the are not available to buy. I got to a point where I could not stand the pain anymore so, I had buy a pair of old man slippers with blades on. I still have the lace bite pain left over from the ONE90's. Last night, after having them sharpened in the shop with a 12mm grind, I went skating with my lad, only to fined that there was no grip. I was taking to Malcolm about my slippers and he said that the rink had a new skate sharpener. Later, one of the Daemons asked if he could sharpen his skates. I followed Malcolm into see this new machine, I got to say at this point I'm a mechanical geek I like to understand how things work and why things don't. I looked at my skate which the nice man in the shop had put a 21mm grind and not a 12mm, he also had not checked the width of the blade and for this reason the grind was slightly of centre.
This morning I was thinking about how much technology had moved things on over the 40 odd years I had played this game. I directed my attention towards skate sharpening and found this web site with all you need to know and some information of possible changes or fads to skate sharpening. I like the info on the flat bottom and Z channel sharpening.

Sorry for the long winded introduction to the web site, I would say with the sharpener at the rink, takes a lot of the hit and miss out of skate sharpening! Now if you would like the profile change on your skates to put you more on your toes the machine can do it.
Ian
ian

Re: information sharpening

Postby exussum » 22 Aug 2013, 19:14

The rink also offer this

http://noicingsports.com/z_channel_skat ... ening.html

Ive given my brother my old skates to give it a go on. Ill let you know what its like when i get them back

The machine at the rink can be set up to put you more on your toes or heel also Its actually quite a complex machine compared to the old one
exussum

Re: information sharpening

Postby ian » 22 Aug 2013, 19:31

Anything that will give me back the 25 years that you lot have on me would be nice.
ian

Return to Flintshire Phantoms