Phantoms frighten off Seagulls

the place for all Phantoms news

Phantoms frighten off Seagulls

Postby George » 30 Oct 2012, 23:26

The Phantoms opened their season with a win, easing to a 5-2 victory against local rivals Blackpool Seagulls. This game represented their first win in three attempts against a side who have only lost a handful of games since being re-founded last February. While the previous two fixtures between these sides had hung in the balance until the final period, this was a more one-sided encounter, in which Phantoms maintained their first period lead to the end.
First Period.
Phantoms start brightly, new signing Chris Keating introduces himself with a fine wraparound effort to open things up. The Seagulls respond after too many Phantoms are caught chasing the puck on the defence, but Sam Hunt puts them back in front before the buzzer. 2-1
Second Period.
The Seagulls played their best attacking hockey in the second, but Dan Kitchen was equal to their efforts in the Phantoms net. Both teams took turns sending players to the box for minor infringements, but neither was able to make the most of an advantage. Sam Hunt beats the Seagull’s keeper with a clean wrist shot for a second, then later capitalises on the visitors’ inability to clear their zone with a backhand goal through traffic to complete the hatrick. 4-1
Third Period
The Phantoms started slowly, conceding a sloppy goal after failing to clear. Briefly it looked as if the Seagulls were ready to mount a comeback, but the Phantoms quick changes and superior depth were starting to take their toll on the visitors. As the period wore on the home side looked more dangerous, getting in behind a tired defence. Brett Hobson put the Seagulls out of their misery with a fine finish, and the home side ran out worthy winners 5-2
Chris Keating was the Man of the Match for the Phantoms in his first game for the club. Honourable mentions belong to Ryan Clarke who had a fine first game at ‘D’ partnered with Emma Middleton who dominated her wingers all night. Daniel ‘Kittens’ Kitchen gave his finest display in the Phantoms goal so far, and, of course, Sam Hunt who scored a fine hatrick.

Sam gave us this EXCLUSIVE interview after the game:

Phantom: You beat Blackpool for the first time. What made the difference?
Sam Hunt: I think this time around, having 3 strong lines saw us through. Each player gave 100% and carried out their role in the team brilliantly. The ability to have a 1-2-3 punch put us in good stead I think.
P: A strong start to the season. How do you see the team doing this year?
SH: I think it will be another stepping stone in making the team more competitive. Last year brought in some excellent players and even better wins/performances. If we continue to build on what we have, we can only get better I feel.
P: Congratulations on the hatrick. Can you talk us though a few?
SH: The first goal was the first time their main D-man allowed me to get the inside of him after some excellent work to get the puck out of our zone by Cookie and Brett. Once he gave me the inside in the high slot, I knew I could beat the keeper. The 3rd was a little lucky, but it was intended. Each faceoff, their center had no intention of playing the puck, only the man. I noticed their wingers weren't helping him out to retrieve the very well, so once I had him tied up and knew he'd lost sight of the puck, then luckily I managed to get a back hand on the puck and past the keeper.
P: Good stuff. What do you think the team needs to do to improve this year?
SH: A little more consistency in our play would go far. We have turned out some great performances which have brought great results against good teams. We have then gone on to lose to teams of similar ability. If we can be on our game from the 1st period each time, like on Sunday, we have proven we can go on to beat teams like Blackpool, who we'd lost to twice previous.
P: Thanks for your time Sam, see you next week vs. the Metros!
SH:
No problem, see you then mate.
George

Return to News & Announcements